Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Homemade Hushpuppies

"K2T Wisata"
I received several comments about my hushpuppies when I posted that I made  them when testing my new turkey fryer. Several of you asked for the recipe and I am finally posting it. Sorry that it took me so long.
Hushpuppies are  definitely not something I grew up eating. They are a southern food for sure and are often served in restaurants in Oklahoma and other southern states.
The first few times I had them I did not really like them. They seemed very dry and not very tasty to me. What I learned though was that hushpuppies can be very good, if cooked right.
Hushpuppies are basically deep fried corn bread and corn bread can be dry and crumbly if not prepared right.
Hushpuppies are the same way. All it takes is a nice moist batter to make a good hush puppy.
My sister and brother in law were recently visiting and I discover that my brother in-law loves hushpuppies.  My sister and I grew up in Oregon, but my brother in-law grew up in Texas, so he knows about good hush puppies.
My husband and kids love hushpuppies, so I decided that since my brother in law enjoyed them so much it would be a perfect time make some.
The turkey fryer worked great, but really you can use any deep fryer or even a pan with oil in it. You are basically frying them just like you would any other fried food.
What are your thoughts on hushpuppies? Have you ever had them? Do you like them?

Hushpuppies

  • 2 cups cornmeal ( You want to use fine cornmeal or they will be gritty. I do not recommend the stone ground cornmeal for these as it will effect the texture.)
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 3/4 cup canned creamed corn
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1 egg
  • oil for frying
Whisk together the cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
Stir in corn, milk, and egg and stir just until combined.
Heat oil to 350 degrees.
Drop batter by the spoonful into hot oil. Do not over fill the pan or they will not cook as well. It will take several batches to cook all of these.
Fry hush puppies for about 5 minutes. If you are frying these on the stove top you may need to turn them while frying in order to brown all sides.
Enjoy!
Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment