Sunday, December 5, 2010

Homemade Flavored Hot Cocoa Mix

"K2T Wisata"
I may not like coffee or tea, but give me cup of hot chocolate on a cold day and I am very happy.
I will say that I am a bit picky on my hot chocolate. If I am going to drink a cup of hot chocolate I want it to be good. I like it rich and creamy.
I have never been much of a fan of the mixes like the famous swiss miss type ones. If I am going to use a mix for hot chocolate, I prefer one that is a little more gourmet. The flavored hot chocolates are some of my favorites.
Over the years I have tried making my own mixes, but have never gotten it quite how I wanted it. They were not rich and creamy enough. I was looking for something more like the more expensive mixes that I bought in the store and most homemade mixes are not like those.
But over time and with quite a bit of tweaking I found a homemade hot chocolate mix that is just what I wanted. It is rich and creamy and perfect.
What makes this homemade hot chocolate different? It contains not only cocoa, but chopped up chocolate chips. Yes, melted chocolate will always add a nice depth of flavor and creaminess to things.
Not only do the chips add creaminess, they allow you to change up the flavors. Think butterscotch hot chocolate or mint hot chocolate. YUM!!
This homemade mix would also make a wonderful holiday gift. Make up a few different flavors and place them in jars, and they would make a perfect gift for anyone.
I love the idea of making a gift basket or tray with these. Include a few jars of homemade hot cocoa mix, a couple of nice hot chocolate mugs, and maybe some spoons and napkins.
What person would not enjoy a gift like that for the holidays?

Homemade Flavored Hot Cocoa Mix

  • 1 1/2 cups  powdered milk
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 cup dutch processed cocoa ( or use hersheys special dark cocoa, I have also used 1/2 baking cocoa and 1/2 dutch processed, but it works best with at least 1/2 dutch processed cocoa because it gives it a richer taste.)
  • 1 cup chocolate chips
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
Mix all ingredients together in a food processor and mix until chips are finely chopped. Depending on the size of your food processor you may have to do a few batches. (I think this also could be done in a couple of batches in a blender.)
To serve you can do this two ways:
4 to 5 tablespoons hot chocolate mix with 1 cup hot water
Or for a creamier hot chocolate: Mix 3 to 4 tablespoons hot chocolate mix with 1 cup of milk. (This is my favorite way to drink it)

For the variations:

Homemade Butterscotch Hot Cocoa: Substitute butterscotch chips for the chocolate chips.
Homemade Mint Hot Cocoa: Substitute Andes mints for the chocolate chips
Homemade Cinnamon Hot Cocoa: Substitute cinnamon chips for the chocolate chips.
Homemade Dark Chocolate Hot Cocoa: Substitute special dark chips for the chocolate chips.

As you can see the flavors are endless.

Enjoy!
Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment